CALL TO ORDER:
The meeting was called to order at 1:07 p.m.
Roll call: 4 Present, 3 Absent, 0 Excused
REPORT OF POSTING OF AGENDA:
Craig A. Ewing, Director of Planning Services, reported due to a lack of quorum the following Items will be pulled from the agenda: Item #4, Case 5.1052 and Item #7, Case 5.1115.
1. PUBLIC COMMENTS: (Three minute time limit.)
Chair Marantz opened Public Comments.
-Renee Robbin, representing Dillon Wind, requested clarification for the project presentation of Item 7, Case 5.1115.
-Steve Sims, Palm Springs, spoke about the importance of bicycling and encouraged counter-flow bike lanes incorporated throughout the City in the General Plan.
-Lee Weigel, Palm Springs, provided details on his background and commended the Commission
for their hard work.
-Ed Dietrich, Palm Springs, president of the Board of Directors for Sagewood Condominiums, spoke in support of the the bicycle lane request and voiced concern with the extension of Chia Road to Farrell and the heights for future development in areas next to the Stater Bros. and Albertsons shopping centers in the General Plan.
-Wellesley Kime, Valley Village, requested clarification on future noticing for Item 7.
There being no further comments, Public Comments was closed.
Commissioner Cohen requested a correction to the minutes of March 28, 2007, as follows: Under Public Comments, Joy Meredith stated, ". . . it was discussed at the Main Street board meeting . . . ."
Motion to To approve, Items 2A and 2B, as part of the Consent Agenda, as amended. Moved by Hutcheson, seconded by Cohen.
Vote to To approve, Items 2A and 2B, as part of the Consent Agenda, as amended. (Approved)
2A. Draft Minutes of March 28, 2007, April 4, 2007 and April 18, 2007.
2B. Case 3.3019 SFR - An application by Marlow Lafountaine to construct a 6,494 square foot single-family residence located at 3285 Corsica Court, Zone R-1-B, Section 35, APN: 512-210-038. (Project Planner: Bryan Fernandez, Assistant Planner)
Chair Marantz disclosed that her business has graded the majority of lots in Las Palmas Heights, however they did not grade this lot. Based on her disclosure Chair Marantz will be participating in the discussion and vote for this Item.
3. Case 3.3041 SFR - An application by Brian and Sheila Housely to construct a 5,205 square foot single-family residence, on a hillside lot, located at 706 Las Palmas Heights, Zone R-1-A, Section 10, APN: 505-360-003. (Project Planner: Bryan Fernandez, Assistant Planner)
Bryan Fernandez, Assistant Planner, provided background information as outlined in the staff report dated April 25, 2007.
Commissioner Hutcheson requested staff confirm the height and setbacks.
Motion to To approve, subject to Conditions of Approval. Moved by Vice Chair Hochanadel, seconded by Cohen.
Vote to To approve, subject to Conditions of Approval. (Approved)
4. Case 5.1052 PD 313 / TTM 33334 - An application by Michael Mueller for the Palm Springs Racquet Club Mixed-Use Development requesting approval for the Final Development plans for a previously approved PDD 313 consisting of a 55-unit condominium complex, restaurant, and a convenience store located at 2743 North Indian Canyon Drive, Zone PDD 313, Section 3. (Project Planner; Edward O. Robertson, Principal Planner)
This Item has been pulled from the agenda due to a lack of quorum.
5. SP 07-027 - An application by Stephen & Loretta Shreve requesting approval of a sign program, one main sign for each tenant and one sign for building identification located at 2739 North Palm Canyon Drive,. Zone C-1, Section 3, APN: 504-060-010. (Project Planner: Scott Taschner, Planning Technician)
Scott Taschner, Planning Technician, provided background information as outlined in the staff report dated April 25, 2007.
Motion to To approve, subject to Conditions of Approval. Moved by Hutcheson, seconded by Cohen.
Vote to To approve, subject to Conditions of Approval. (Approved)
6. Case 5.1147 SNC - An application by Century Vintage Homes to change the name of North Indian Avenue to North Indian Canyon Drive beginning from the I-10 corridor to the end of the city limits of the City of Palm Springs, which is approximately 0.88 miles to the north; General Plan - Major Thoroughfare. (Project Planner: David Newell, Assistant Planner)
David Newell, Assistant Planner, provided background information as outlined in the staff report dated April 25, 2007. He noted a letter of opposition was received from a business adjacent to Indian Avenue in which the applicant has resolved the issues.
Vice Chair Hochanadel commented the only concern is that more history will be lost in the city since the street name change will affect the entire street up to Highway 62.
Chair Marantz opened the Public Hearing and there being no comments, the Public Hearing was closed.
Motion to To recommend approval to the City Council. Moved by Hutcheson, seconded by Cohen.
Vote to To recommend approval to the City Council. (Approved)
7. Case 5.1115 CUP / 6.493 VAR - An application by Dillon Wind LLC, for a Conditional Use Permit to allow the development of five 1-megawatt wind energy conversion systems (WECS) in Area 5. The application also includes a Variance application to exceed the 300 foot commercial WECS height limit. Area 5 is located within the limits of the City of Palm Springs approximately 6,000 feet west of Indian Avenue and 2000 feet north of I-10. (Project Planner: Edward Robertson, Principal Planner)
This Item has been pulled from the agenda due to lack of quorum.
8. Case 5.1152 - To consider the Draft 2007 Comprehensive Update of the Palm Springs General Plan and related Draft Environmental Impact Report. (Project Planner: Ken Lyon, Associate Planner)
Ken Lyon, Associate Planner, provided background information as outlined in the staff report dated April 25, 2007. He noted "Errata Sheets" were e-mailed to the Commission which include corrections made after the distribution date of March 22nd.
Chair Marantz noted that many of the Commissioners did not receive the e-mail, with the attachments, since it was routed to their spam folder. Staff responded next time they would follow-up with a phone call.
Chair Marantz mentioned the Desert Riders’ appreciated the opportunity to meet with staff and comment on the trail policies.
The Commission discussed the areas of concern brought up by the public and requested staff address these issues at the next meeting such as planning area #9, community design for distinctive neighborhoods and biological sensitivity.
Chair Marantz opened the Public Hearing.
-Kay Hazen, Palm Springs Modern Homes, requested the land use designation "mixed-use"
be allowed to be either fully residential or commercial development.
-Paula Auburn, Palm Springs, chair of the Sunrise Vista Chino Neighborhood Coalition, voiced concerns relating to conflicting language in the General Plan and the extension from Chia Road to
Farrell; spoke in support of low density and heights and more protection for neighborhoods.
-Arlene Battishill, Palm Springs, voiced concern with the area south of Alejo in Section 14 which has been proposed with medium to high density resdential and the high volume of traffic already present in this neighborhood.
-David Baron, voiced concern relating to a discrepancy in Planning Area #9 which should reflect the designation in the ESA-SP.
-Emily Hemphill, counsel to Wessman Development, spoke in support of the mixed-use development designation and requested the designation be applied to the parcel John Wessman owns, east of the Rim Rock Shopping Center; a correction on page 3-26 the chart should indicate GR-5 minimum lot size 0.5 acres and height limits are too restrictive.
-John Wessman, Palm Springs, voiced concern for the area near the Rim Rock shopping center which is being re-zoned from high density to medium; he requested this area be considered for re-designation as "mixed-use".
-Jonathan Caisse, Palm Springs, voiced concern with the density and preservation of views.
-Greg Trousdell, Palm Springs Modern Homes, re-iterated the request for mixed-use designation
to allow either fully residential or commercial.
There being no further comments, the Public Hearing was continued to May 2, 2007.
Chair Marantz provided a recap of the items for staff to review and provide response and/or recommendations.
Commissioner Hutcheson noted it would be helpful for staff to reference the appropriate pages on the draft General Plan as part of the response to public comments.
Commissioner Cohen requested staff address the traffic concerns on Alejo Road at Indian Canyon.
The Commission discussed the mixed-use classification for residential or commercial and also discussed biologically sensitive areas.
Motion to To continue the public hearing to the meeting of May 2, 2007. Moved by Cohen, seconded by Vice Chair Hochanadel.
Vote to To continue the public hearing to the meeting of May 2, 2007. (Approved)
9. COMMISSION WORK PROGRAM:
* *Work Program Priorities and Subcommittee Assignments
10. CITY COUNCIL ACTIONS: Update.
11. COMMISSION/STAFF REPORTS AND REQUESTS:
Chair Marantz requested staff follow-up on a previous request regarding East Palm Canyon and Camino Real.
12. ADJOURNMENT: There being no further comments, the meeting adjourned at 2:35 p.m.
Apr 25, 2007 Planning Commission